Thursday, June 26, 2008

Curried Corn Soup

Last weekend Michael and I went into Houston to go to a farmer's market. While we were there we bought some delicious veggies, some local honey, and a huge bag of curry powder. Curry powder at a farmer's market? I know...kinda strange. But there was this Indian food stand selling diffent dips, pratha (an indian flat bread filled with lentils and potato), and spices. Michael loves Indian food and I have been trying to perfect my Coconut Curry Shrimp recipe but it is always "off". I suspected that it was the cheap brand of curry powder they sell at the grocery store. So, we shelled out some money for a huge bag of curry powder.

When I was making our menu and grocery list for the week, I was looking for a new curry recipe. I found this Curried Corn Soup at weightwatchers.com and thought I would give it a try.

I was a huge sucess! It was easy to make and Michael LOVED it! (I really think my new curry powder made it even better!) I should have made a double batch so we could have leftover tomorrow. It is fairly easy, healthy, and full of fiber...for those of you who care about such things! I paired it with some fresh steamed green beans and viola...dinner!





I am definitly going to make this one again.


Here is the recipe if you want to give it a try:

Curried Corn Soup
Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup onion(s), chopped
2 tsp curry powder
4 cup fat-free chicken broth
4 piece corn on the cob, kernels removed with a knife (yields about 3 cups)
1/2 pound uncooked red potato(es), peeled and chopped (about 2 large potatoes)
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp table salt
1/4 cup cilantro, or scallion, chopped
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup tomato(es), diced

Directions:
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion; cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and cook 30 seconds until fragrant.


Add broth, corn, potatoes, lemon juice and salt to saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes; remove from heat.


In a blender, food processor or using an immersion blender, puree mixture (in batches if necessary), until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.


To serve, stir cilantro or scallions into soup. Spoon into bowls and top with about 2 teaspoons each of yogurt and tomato. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro or scallions, if desired. Serve hot or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.

No comments: