Saturday, July 12, 2008

The return of date night

A few months into our marriage, Michael decided that every other Friday night would be "date night". How fun! He always came up with creative (and sometimes romantic) things to do. Once it was dinner and dance lessons, once we went to Ikea (this was one of my favorites), once the symphony. You get the picture. Of course we also just had relaxing nights with dinner and a movie too. Regardless, the point was that we were able to reconnect and be together and just have fun. We tried our darndest to not schedule other events that might overlap with "date night" and our time together was special.

Then Evelyn came along. As you may imagine, date night has been forgotten for the last 4 months. I missed it. And I can't speak for Michael but I think he missed it even more than me.

So last night was the...dum dum dum...RETURN OF DATE NIGHT (imagine me saying that like in a superhero action movie!). We dropped of the little one at my parents house and headed out to a very low-key dinner at Gringos. I knew it was a special night when a switched out the diaper bag for my purse (which was already collecting dust in the back of my closet!).

I admit that looked at my watch more than I should have, making sure that we would be back to my parents by 8:00pm, but just being alone with Michael and having some adult conversation was awesome!

(oh, and here is a tip for those of you who haven't had a beer in over a year. Drink it VERY slowly and make sure you have enough food in your belly. If not you will get tipsy while drinking it and get a terrible headache later that night. Yes, from just ONE lite beer.)

3 comments:

Morgan said...

yea! i am glad you two got to go out without the little one.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the return of date night!

Melissa said...

It sounds like y'all had a great date. I can totally relate to checking the watch. We've only had one date night and I think he was 3 months old (and still taking a bottle). We went to Pappadeux's, one of my favorite restaurants, but I couldn't fully enjoy myself because I kept looking at my watch and had my cell phone set out right in front of me so I wouldn't miss any calls. :P