Tuesday, July 1, 2008

tylenol math


So I was reading the back of the Infant's Tylenol bottle tonight. (No, this isn't something I read every night as part of a nightly routine...I just happened to see the bottle and was curious as to what it said.) Anyway, everything seemed fine and dandy until I got to the "Dosage Chart". There is a column for "weight", "age", and "dose (ml)". OK, good. Then under the "dose" for a 2-3 year old it specifically states 1.6 ml (0.8+0.8). WHAT?? If the person administering medication to a child can not figure out that 1.6 ml is 0.8ml+0.8ml I think they should seriously consider letting someone else give the kiddo the meds.

Now I am not saying that I am a math whiz...I am not. In fact I am always asking Michael to do simple math problems for me (usually because he can do them in his head much faster than it would take me to work them out and I am too lazy to todo them myself). But, I would like to think that I would know to give my child two 0.8 dropper-fulls of Tylenol when the dose called for 1.6ml. ugh.

No comments: