Saturday, July 5, 2008

Commitment Issues

So Michael and I went to look at a house with our realtor today for the first time. I always imagined that I would be REALLY excited and totally ready to commit when the time came to buy a house. I mean I love our apartment, but now that Evelyn is here we are quickly out-growing it. But for some reason I felt a little strange walking into a home that could possibly be ours. I am not ready to commit. For those of you who don't know me well, I like to return things. I buy clothes, shoes, books...just about anything...and I end up returning them. In fact, the day I went to buy my wedding dress I walked up to the counter and the sweet lady explained their return policy. She politely told me that "all sales are final". For me that is like hearing nails on a chalkboard. I left that day without a dress. (the sales lady must have thought I was nuts!) I just couldn't buy something knowing that I couldn't return it later if I changed my mind. I eventually committed to the dress later that week after much coercing and convincing from Michael and my mom, but it was not easy...especially when they stamp your receipt "No Returns. All Sales Are Final" in red ink! This is the same reason I don't shop at Target as much as I would like (there is neither time nor space to get on my soap box about their TERRIBLE return policy!!)


I never really thought it was strange to return things until I met Michael and he NEVER returns anything. Once he buys it, it is his. This is a quality I would like to have...but obviously I am not there yet. =)


So over the last few weeks, when we have started to talk seriously about buying a house, I realized that this may pose a major problem for me. I am not sure, but the last time I checked you can't bring your receipt to your realtor a few weeks after moving in and return your house.


Anyway, back to the house we looked at this morning. It was beautiful. Nice wood floors, granite counter tops, an ideal neighborhood with good schools, beautiful trees in the front and back yard, a place for my vegetable garden in the back, almost everything I am looking for in a home. When we got back to our apartment Michael and I were talking about the house and I realized that even though it was great I am no where near ready to commit. I am afraid that there will always be something better out there. So all of you home owners, how do you know that a specific house is "the one"?


Here are some pics of the house. what do you think??












































(oh, and I made the Curried Corn Soup again tonight...YUMMY!)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

It looks like a really great house- very welcoming! Also, the picture with you and E standing in front... yeah, it looks like y'all belong there. :)

I'm sorry I can't help with any advice though. We rent and it'll be at least another year (our next duty station) before we can even think about buying a house.

Erin said...

It looks fantastic!!! Where is it?

Morgan said...

i think the house is really pretty!! i think with everything, there is always something 'better' around the corner. but you just have to trust that God will provide, and look to him for contentment in that, not the next best thing. and once you do decide on a house, don't keep looking!! that will just make you doubt yourself.

Karen said...

The house is in Colony Bend, right between Colony Bend Elementary and First Colony MS.

liz said...

NO NO, way...seriously, karen, i have the same buyer's remorse/commitment issues that you have....we need to talk about it sometime...it has affected chris and my relationship, ANY purchases i buy or any decision i make...what it comes down to is -- you need to be confident in the decision you make PRIOR to making it...for me this has looked like making a list and once i'm good with the list to make the decision, coming back to the list when i am struggling with the decision...ok, i could go on forever...my two sense...the house looks sooo cute, i love it :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post! So hilarious. I have odd shopping habits myself. Dirk has learned not to freak when I put items in our shopping cart or hold things while we shop because I usually end up putting 75% of the things I carry around back. I guess its just the thrill of having it in my possession for a little while, the fun dies off when I get to carry it around. Weird, I know.

The house looks GREAT!